CITRUS HONEY COBB SALAD
Citrus Honey Cobb salad! I mean the name says it all, right! You know it is going to be a delicious spring party both on the plate and for your taste buds!!
I am always looking for fun variations on traditional and what often seems boring or bland, salad dishes! I love salads because they are easy and even though they are simple they have many dimensions to them! They can be cold, warm, served as a side, the main entree, they travel easy, they can be be thrown in your work bag if you do salad-in-a-jar. They are just the best!!!
So the inspiration for this salad comes from on of my favorite southern-living blogs, Waiting on Martha! I got a chance to meet the founder and creative director of the blog, Mandy, at a women's conference I attended a few falls ago! She is the cutest and a true modern southern belle! So, Mandy too has an obsession with upleveling salads and featured the Cobb salad on her site. I decided to "curate" her version for the precursor to my Easter Sunday meal and there was born, the Citrus Honey Cobb salad! And this is what I so love about cooking and recipes...you can totally make them your own and put your twist on it and it because your creation!
What is super fun about this recipe is that I used a new balsamic vinegar that I got from one of my favorite spots, which my friend, Denise, just happens to be the owner of, VOM FASS! There are two locations in the Dallas area, but if you aren't from these parts, do not fret, there are several locations all over the great U-S-of-A, so you won't be stuck out! The honey-balsamic vinegar I used was truly the pièce de résistance to this dish because, let's face it...it is Cobb salad!! Okay, without further adieu, here is the recipe. Be sure to let me know what you think about it in the comments or if you have your own version that you love!!!!
CITRUS HONEY COBB SALAD
INGREDIENTS // INGRÈDIENTS
1.5 lbs shrimp, peeled + deviened
3 eggs, FRGF (free range, grass fed) hard-boiled
1 tsp butter, salted
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 red onion, finely diced
2/4 cup goat cheese, herbed
10 drops lemon essential oil
1 small lime
1 bag mixed greens
1/2 bag iceberg lettuce
Mrs. Dash garlic and herb spices, to taste
Kosher salt and Black pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS // ÈTAPES
Definitely start with a large platter. This is not only for presentation, but also for portion. In order to get the right amount of greens in every bite, I placed an entire bed of greens on the bottom so with each serving you have an equitable amount of greens!
- In a pot of water bring 3 FRGF eggs to a boil. Once cooked, rinse with cold water and place to the side
- Clean and prep your shrimp (or protein of your choice), tossing it in Mrs. Dash seasoning and adding black pepper to taste. Squeeze the juice of half a lime over it and place to the side
- Prepare a large skillet, placing it on the stove and over medium heat
- Rinse, dry and toss your greens with salt, black pepper and 10 drops of lemon essential oil. Set to the side.
- Place your butter in the skillet and allow it to melt. Once it has melted place your shrimp in the skillet in a single layer. Turn as necessary and cook until opaque. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Cut all your tomatoes in half, dice your onions and peel your eggs and quarter them as well!
- On your platter place your ingredients on top of the greens using half the ingredients on one side and the other half on the other and then place your shrimp down the middle! Take you citrus honey balsamic in a serving dish on the side and let your dinner guest spoon the amount that they would like on top of their servings!
YOU MAY ENJOY: